- Lush has announced it will shut down its Facebook, Instagram, TikTok, and Snapchat accounts.
- The cosmetics company said the harms of social media were going “largely ignored.”
- Lush’s UK operation said in 2019 it would shut down some of its social media but returned in 2020.
In a press release issued last week, Lush said it would be shutting down its Facebook, Instagram, TikTok, and Snapchat accounts on Friday for all of its operations across 48 countries.
The company said it was ditching its accounts because of safety issues on social media.
“In the same way that evidence against climate change was ignored and belittled for decades, concerns about the serious effects of social media are going largely ignored now,” the company said in its press release.
“I’ve spent all my life avoiding putting harmful ingredients in my products. There is now overwhelming evidence we are being put at risk when using social media,” Lush CEO Mark Constantine said in a statement.
“I’m not willing to expose my customers to this harm, so it’s time to take it out of the mix,” he added.
Lush’s UK operations made a similar announcement in 2019, saying it was quitting Instagram and Facebook because it was “tired of fighting with algorithms.” Lush said in its press release it returned to some of its abandoned social-media accounts last year in response to the pandemic driving customers inside.
“We at Lush don’t want to wait for better worldwide regulations or for the platforms to introduce best practice guidelines, while a generation of young people are growing up experiencing serious and lasting harm,” Lush said.
Internal company documents leaked by Haugen on a variety of subjects, including teen mental health, hate speech, and misinformation, prompted renewed scrutiny of Meta — Facebook’s rebranded parent company. Lawmakers in the US, the UK, and Europe took testimony from Haugen on how they might better regulate social-media companies.
Lush said it would keep its Twitter and YouTube accounts active “for now.”